Since ages, gemstones have always been associated with supernatural powers. A link with astrology has been formed leading to the formation of stones, each allocated to the signs of the zodiac, the sun, the moon and the planets .
According to Indian gemology, stones allocated to the nine Planets are:
- Sun - Ruby (Manikya)
- Moon - Pearl (Moti)
- Mars - Coral (Moonga)
- Mercury - Emerald (Panna)
- Jupiter - Golden or white sapphire (Pukhraj)
- Venus - Diamond (Heera)
- Saturn - Blue Sapphire (Neelam)
- Rahu(dragon}s head)– Hessonite, Zircon, Cinnamon stone.
- Ketu (dragon}s tail) - Chrysoberyl Cat’s eye (Sutramani - Vaidurya, Lahsunia)
According to western gemology, the stones of planets are as follows:
- Sun - Chrysoberyl, Diamond
- Moon - Moonstone, Pearl, Emerald
- Mars - Red Garnet, Ruby
Mercury - Yellow Sapphire, Topaz
- Jupiter - Amethyst, Lapiz Lazuli, blue sapphire.
- Saturn - Aquamarine, blue spinel.
- Venus - Orange yellow sapphire (Padparadschah) yellow red zircon.
Stones of the Zodiac:
- Aries - (21 March - 20 April) - Red Jasper, Red Cornelian
- Taurus - (21 April - 20 May) - Orange Cornelian, Rose Quartz
- Gemini - (21 May 20 June) - Citrine, Tigers eye
- Cancer - (21 June - 20 July) - Green Aventurine, Chryoprase
- Leo - (21 July - 22 Aug) - Rock Crystal, Golden Quartz
- Virgo - (23 August - 22 September) - Yellow Agate, Yellow Citrine
- Libra - (23 September - 22 October) - Orange Citrine, Smoky Quartz
- Scorpio - (23 October - 22 November) - Blood Red Cornelian, Sard
- Sagittarius - (22 November - 21 December) - Blue Quartz, Chalcedony
- Capricorn - (22 December - 20 January) - Onyx, Quartz Cat’s Eye
- Aquarius - (21 January - 18 February) - Hawk’s Eye, Turquoise
- Pisces - (19 February - 20 March) - Amethyst, Amethyst Quartz